6 months ago
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world's most prestigious hotels and resorts. The Group now operates or has underdevelopment over 40 hotels with more than 11,000 rooms in 25 countries in key business and leisure destinations.
Set at the heart of the US capital between Maine and Maryland Avenues and 12th and 14th Streets, SW, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC has redefined luxury in the city. Just streets away from the nation's most revered monuments and the Smithsonian Institution, the hotel is also within easy reach of Capitol Hill and the White House.
It is the mission and intent of this position that the incumbent will assist in managing the day to day operation of the dining outlets. The F&B Manager will also help in creating a food and beverage experience for guests commensurate to Mandarin Oriental Standards.
Scope of Position
The F&B Manager will assume day to day operational and financial responsibility for one of our food and beverage outlets. This includes maintaining an optimum manpower and supplies level, providing excellent service to guests, ensuring restaurant furniture and equipment are in proper working order.
The Food & Beverage Manager will report to the Director of Restaurants.
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
* Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Pillars of Legendary Quality Experiences on a daily basis to ensure Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement
* Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Departmental Legendary Quality Experiences on a daily basis to ensure Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement
* Support company's philosophy and company culture through the use of Guiding Principles and D.E.L.I.G.H.T as part of ensuring Guest Satisfaction and the achievement of our Mission Statement.
* Performs administrative duties such as, but not limited to, scheduling, payroll and inventory.
* Provide excellent service at all time to all of our guests; assist in service recovery and ensures follow up.
* Managing day to day operations; coach and counsel colleagues on standards and service initiatives.
* Excellent knowledge of food and beverage; assist in the development and execution of special events, menus and promotions as directed.
* Conduct daily communication meeting with staff prior to shift.
* Provide an active presence on the dining room floor to ensure guest satisfaction. Address concerns and follow up on all issues both internal and external.
* Discipline colleagues in accordance with the progressive discipline policies as outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
* Uphold and enforce all hotel policies and procedures as stated in hotel colleague handbook.
* Attend weekly and monthly food & beverage meetings.
* Communicate all group information/changes to existing information to appropriate hotel colleagues in an accurate and timely manner.
* Utilize and adhere to exemplary phone etiquette at all times with both guests and colleagues.
* Generate a positive working atmosphere that promotes a climate of enthusiasm.
* Coordinate all aspects of service to include but not limited to:
* Food and beverage requirements
* Timing of events
* Special attention guests
* Table setup
* Special requests
* Billing instructions
* Authorized signatures
* Décor (to include floral) requirements
* Trains and evaluates line level colleagues in accordance with the standards of the company policies and guidelines.
* Schedules restaurant staff in alignment with business needs and in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
* Develop and implement system for checking maintenance of table top supplies through staff side work duties.
* Create side work schedules for all positions. Ensure compliance and follow through.
* Keep record and communicate of any exemplary or deficient examples of food, décor or service.
* Attend the B.E.O (Banquet Event Order) meeting when necessary
* Assist in setting goals for the relevant departments
* Perform daily and weekly payroll tasks to pay colleagues in a timely manner
* Assist colleagues understand and complete paperwork to request sick, vacation and other HR related paperwork
* Assist in inventory and control of the supplies
* Consult business levels in order to write weekly schedule for employees
* Assist in control of all expenses. Paper supply, Fuel supply, uniform, cleaning supply; etc.
* Assist and help banquet/ Garde Manger kitchen to plate up
* Review and revise standard operating procedures for departments, as necessary
* Complete daily assignment sheets for colleagues
* Attend F&B meeting when directed
* Coordinate with F&B Department Heads to buy and replenish the storage of goods after inventory to keep the existing par
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
* Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the management.
* Understands and follows all beverage service laws and guidelines per locality.
* Provides instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other emergency situations. Ensures FLHSS standards are adhered to at all times within the department.
* Highly knowledgeable about the Reservation System and InfoGenesis POS system.
* Ensures accuracy of all menus: current, correct, spelled correctly, clean and presentable.
* Ensures menu descriptions are up to date and distributed appropriately.
* Assists with check reconciliation with regards to voids, promos and discounted items. Assures that checks are settled in an honest and accurate way.
* Assists in the development of the annual budget.
* Monitor payroll of department.
* Review and approve departmental PAFs.
* Revise standard and procedures for department, as necessary
Success Profile for this Role (Hotel Competencies)
Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information (or preferences) and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external customers and gains their trust and respect.
Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person's career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; encourages people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental and talent management system in the organization; is a people builder.
Drive for Results
Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Ethics and Values
Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches.
Integrity and Humility
Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; keeps confidences; admits mistakes and flaws. Can get things done quietly without unnecessary noise; is careful to make others comfortable; is authentic; helps others save face in difficult situations; maximizes the contribution of all; encourages the expression of viewpoints from all concerned; is modest and self-effacing; respects the views of others.
Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him/herself; understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches; works to deploy strengths; works on compensating for weakness and limits. Picks up on the need to change personal, interpersonal, and managerial behavior and seeks feedback.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when under pressure or when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn't show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching goals; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
Functional and Technical skills
Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Building Effective Teams
Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Able to marshal resources (people, funding, material, support and time) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources and time effectively and efficiently; arranges information in a useful manner. Sets clear goals and responsibilities, monitors progress and results.
Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers. Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience.
* Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language with excellent communication skills.
* Willing to work a flexible schedule to include early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays.
* Proven team leader with demonstrated ability to promote a climate of enthusiasm.
* Work in a safe, prudent and organized manner.
* Have knowledge of food and preparation techniques.
* Have some knowledge of wine, cocktails, beers, etc.
* Be able to relate to all levels of guests and management.
* 1-3+ years' experience in similar position, preferably in luxury hotel and/or upscale dining environment.
* Superior multi-tasking and organizational abilities.
* Be able to consistently delight and satisfy our guest.
* Have the ability to handle guest requests in a detailed manner.
* Must have excellent attention to details, and extensive service knowledge.
* Bachelor's Degree in hospitality or related field is required.
* Superior organizational skills
* Bi-lingual abilities are preferred.
* Prior experience managing in a unionized environment is strongly favored.
* TIPS & ServSafe certifications preferred.
* Possess prior experience with menu writing and development of special events/promotions.
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources.
Reference # 47960
Posted: Dec 22, 2016
Location(s) Mandarin Oriental, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
Department Food and Beverage
Work Availability Full-time
Job Type Management